JERUSALEM (AP) — A commission tasked with probing the 2010 deadly Israeli naval raid on a Gaza-bound ship has recommended several legal reforms to improve the conduct of military investigations.
Nine pro-Palestinian Turkish activists were killed on May 31, 2010, after Israeli commandos stormed a flotilla trying to breach Israel’s blockade of Gaza.
The Israeli commission’s first report on the raid dealt with the bloodshed onboard and cleared the military and government of any wrongdoing.
A second report was released on Wednesday.
It focuses on improving effectiveness and oversight of military investigations and recommends that high-ranking officers and civilian leaders should be held responsible for not doing enough to prevent illegal actions.
Sarit Michaeli, a spokeswoman for the Israeli rights group B’Tselem, says that if implemented, the recommendations would be “incredibly important.”
More Related Stories
- Must-see morning clip: Toronto's eccentric and allegedly crack-smoking mayor
- Federal court strikes down Arizona abortion ban
- Jodia Arias: I deserve a second chance
- Oklahoma residents return home to pick up the pieces
- Florida man with connection to Tsarnaev killed by FBI
- FBI identifies 5 Benghazi suspects
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11