CHICAGO (AP) — A federal judge in Chicago says he dressed as a nun to help him find a defendant guilty of bank robbery.
Navahcia (nah-vah-CEE’-ah) Edwards and her fiance, Lyndon Wesley, were accused of robbing a Palos Heights bank in May 2011 wearing nun masks. The Chicago Sun-Times reports (http://bit.ly/VIXnU7 ) that bank tellers said they could see the robbers’ skin through the masks’ eyeholes, and identified them both as African American.
Edwards is African American. Edwards’ attorney Charles Aron claimed Wesley robbed the bank with a white accomplice who blackened her face.
U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly noted that when he wore a similar nun mask in his chambers, the white skin around his eyes was clearly visible.
Kennelly also pointed out that Edwards had purchased nun masks online.
More Related Stories
- My miscarriages made me question being pro-choice
- Why I tried to be a punk
- I'm terrified of the cicada onslaught
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- SAT's right answers are all wrong
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- Horrifying new trend: Posting rapes to Facebook
- Corporate greed is poisoning America -- literally
- The new geography of poverty
- Childhood ADHD linked to obesity in adulthood
- Obama to all-male university graduates: Be the best husband to "your boyfriend or partner"
- Chicago man breaks world record with 48-hour Ferris wheel ride
- I will never be able to afford Angelina Jolie's mastectomy
- GOP attorney general candidate tried to force women to report miscarriages to police
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- GOP actually bullies an anti-bullying bill
- Georgian police slow to react to mob violence at gay rights march
- 1 killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Thousands treated for sexual abuse-related injuries in military
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11