LIMA, Peru (AP) — Peru’s police chief says agents have arrested a top Colombian drug trafficker and gangster who entered Peru in late January with a false passport.
Gen. Raul Salazar says Jacinto Nicolas Fuentes German, alias Don Leo, was arrested Wednesday in the affluent seaside Lima district of Miraflores with the help of Colombian police.
Salazar identified Fuentes as head of the Urabenos criminal gang in Colombia’s Bajo Cauca region, which is a traditional stronghold of far-right paramilitaries.
After the illegal Colombian militias disbanded in the middle of the last decade, many of their members formed drug-trafficking bands of which the Urabenos is among the most prominent. Urabenos has battled other criminal gangs for control of drug trafficking routes out of Colombia, which is the top exporter of U.S.-bound cocaine.
More Related Stories
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
- Record tornado devastates Oklahoma
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- Tornado reduces Oklahoma City suburb to rubble
- AP: Toll at least 37 dead in Okla. tornado
- Entire Midwest on tornado warning
- Oregon senator proposes appeal to Monsanto Protection Act
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Beltway scandal machine breaks, knows nothing about America
- Gitmo hunger striker launches Twitter campaign
- "Hero" cop, honored by Obama, accused of double rape
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Pentagon adviser pushed Anthrax drug, which his firm produced
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- The new geography of poverty
- Promotion for NYPD cop who cost city $1.5m in settlements
- Obama to all-male university graduates: Be the best husband to "your boyfriend or partner"
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- GOP attorney general candidate tried to force women to report miscarriages to police
- Chinese hackers resume attacks against U.S.
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11