KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Usain Bolt kicked off his sprint season Saturday by making a rare appearance in a 400-meter race and finishing in 46.74 seconds.
Bolt, who has back-to-back Olympic gold medals in the 100, 200 and 4×100-meter relay, overtook Allodin Fothergill in the homestretch to win his heat.
Bolt’s biggest rival, Yohan Blake, ran 46.64 in a separate heat, finishing second to Warren Weir, the 200-meter Olympic bronze medalist, who finished in 46.23.
There were no finals in the small meet, the Camperdown Classic, which drew about three dozen sprinters to Kingston’s National Stadium.
Bolt, the world-record holder in the 100 and 200, used to run the 200 and 400. But while getting ready for the 2008 Olympics, he took up the 100 and took a break from the longer distance.
More Related Stories
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma tornado kills at least 91
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
- Record tornado devastates Oklahoma
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- Tornado reduces Oklahoma City suburb to rubble
- AP: Toll at least 37 dead in Okla. tornado
- Entire Midwest on tornado warning
- Oregon senator proposes appeal to Monsanto Protection Act
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Beltway scandal machine breaks, knows nothing about America
- Gitmo hunger striker launches Twitter campaign
- "Hero" cop, honored by Obama, accused of double rape
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Pentagon adviser pushed Anthrax drug, which his firm produced
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- The new geography of poverty
- Promotion for NYPD cop who cost city $1.5m in settlements
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11