Donald Trump sued Bill Maher for $5 million after proving that he is not the son of an orangutan VIDEO
Bill Maher responded to Donald Trump’s $5 million “orangutan” lawsuit on “Real Time” on Saturday, telling Trump “suck it up,” and noting that jokes on comedy shows are not typically legally binding contracts.
The kerfuffle between Trump and Maher started shortly after Trump announced that he would give $5 million to charity if Obama provided his school records. Maher joked on “The Tonight Show” that Trump should prove that he wasn’t the child of an orangutan. Trump, for some reason, did, and his lawyer sent Maher a copy of the birth certificate. “Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,” his lawyer wrote.
When Maher didn’t pay up, Trump sued. “He promised me $5 million for charity if I provided certain information,” he said on “Fox & Friends.” “Well I provided the information. He didn’t pay. So today I sue Bill Maher for $5 million for charity.”
In response, Maher addressed Trump on his show. “This is known as ‘parody,’ and it’s a form of something we in the comedy business call a joke,” he said. “Just like we’re the gun country, we’re the joke country. We love our free speech and we love celebrities getting taken down a peg. So Don, just suck it up like everybody else!”
Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Jillian Rayfield.
More Related Stories
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11