Her cliché of choice: "It's not you, it's me"
I have received numerous invitations to join you in a relationship, and I figured it was time to respond to your advances.”
So begins “Girls” star Allison Williams’ cringe-inducing (breakup? rejection?) letter to Twitter, the social media outlet of choice for Lena Dunham. Williams continues:
Before you jump to conclusions, it’s not that I’m seeing somebody else. I barely talk to Facebook anymore (we only ever speak when I need to expedite the name game after meeting a new person), too many friends have been with Instagram or Tumblr, and LinkedIn can ask until he’s blue in the face … not my type.
Williams basically rejects social media for the same reason that any of the characters do whatever it is they do on her show: Because they are all 20-somethings who are “still figuring things out.” Because they are “young!” and “making it up as I go!” Because they can “misfire (like a bad photo shoot or a weird outfit choice)” and because they are all trying to “protect myself from myself.”
I’m also a little self-conscious around you. OK — I’m very self-conscious around you. You’re kind of a tough critic. I always worry about what you would think of me, because I’ve seen the way you react to other people. Would you find me somehow offensive, or too boring, or too provocative, or too ironic, or too earnest? The thought that you would misread a joke makes me ill.
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11