SAEER, West Bank (AP) — Thousands have joined the funeral procession in the West Bank for a 30-year-old Palestinian who died under disputed circumstances in Israeli custody.
Palestinian officials say autopsy results show Arafat Jaradat was tortured by Israeli interrogators. Israeli officials say there’s no conclusive cause of death and that more tests are needed.
His death comes at a time of rising tensions in the West Bank. It has stoked Israeli fears of a third Palestinian uprising.
Palestinian police kept order as Jaradat’s funeral got under way in his village of Saeer on Monday.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli officials traded accusations, each side saying the other is provoking violence for political gains.
Abbas says Palestinians want peace and won’t be provoked, despite what he says are more lethal tactics by Israeli troops.
More Related Stories
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to talk peace
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11