It's not just the host: From the "Jaws" music to a tap on the shoulder, the winners are rushed off the stage
This year’s Oscars continued a familiar tradition — running lengthy clip sequences at the expense of Oscar winners’ speeches — this year, winners have been interrupted by intrusive music and mic cuts as they thank their friends, family and colleagues.
The “Life of Pi” team accepting the best visual effects trophy was cut off by the gradually swelling music from “Jaws” — no bland, non-threatening exit music this year! — and, as one of the “Life of Pi” team attempted to speak over the music, the mic was cut.
“Poor thing,” Nicole Kidman appeared to say in a mute reaction shot.
The same exact thing, less the Nicole Kidman cutoff, happened to the makers of “Searching for Sugar Man,” the best documentary feature.
Meanwhile, Seth MacFarlane’s opening number featured numerous musical numbers — including one mocking actresses who’d played nude, in an apparent tribute to the theory of the male gaze — and cutaways to William Shatner, and a lengthy medley of songs from “Les Misérables.”
Notoriously, the songwriters behind “Once” were cut off in 2007 after winning the best original song trophy and Jon Stewart ushered them back to fully thank their colleagues.
Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_ More Daniel D'Addario.
More Related Stories
- How "Life of Pi" anticipated 9/11
- Is Obama to blame for North Korea?
- Tim Graham: "Average viewer would not be able to guess Karen Finney is African-American"
- I'll tell you what's funny
- The week in 10 pics
- How to do outrage
- California lawmakers call out the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for sexism
- Ben's right: Marriage is work. That's not necessarily a bad thing
- Tina Fey: "No way" would I host Oscars
- "We saw your junk": The inevitable parody arrives
- Anne Hathaway: Hollywood's most polarizing star
- "We Saw Your Boobs" celebrates rape on film
- How to mock a child
- Seth MacFarlane says he won't host Oscars again
- Must-see morning clip: Colbert on the Oscars
- Report: Onion staffers angry over Wallis apology
- Seth MacFarlane to Rush Limbaugh: Now I understand why conservatives hate the media
- Jennifer Lawrence's fall to grace
- The Onion's hipster misogyny
- Don’t blame Seth MacFarlane!
- Seth MacFarlane saw your boobs
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11