Michelle Obama presenting Best Picture was "big government out of control," Colbert said VIDEO
Stephen Colbert was outraged to report that Michelle Obama presented the award for Best Picture at Sunday’s Oscars, what he called “big government out of control.”
“Now the private sector can’t even broadcast its own self-congratulatory strokefest without federal intervention?” Colbert asked. “What’s next, regulatory limits on how much Joaquin Phoenix can eat during the ceremony?”
Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at email@example.com. More Jillian Rayfield.
More Related Stories
- How "Life of Pi" anticipated 9/11
- Is Obama to blame for North Korea?
- Tim Graham: "Average viewer would not be able to guess Karen Finney is African-American"
- I'll tell you what's funny
- The week in 10 pics
- How to do outrage
- California lawmakers call out the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for sexism
- Ben's right: Marriage is work. That's not necessarily a bad thing
- Tina Fey: "No way" would I host Oscars
- "We saw your junk": The inevitable parody arrives
- Anne Hathaway: Hollywood's most polarizing star
- "We Saw Your Boobs" celebrates rape on film
- How to mock a child
- Seth MacFarlane says he won't host Oscars again
- Report: Onion staffers angry over Wallis apology
- Seth MacFarlane to Rush Limbaugh: Now I understand why conservatives hate the media
- Jennifer Lawrence's fall to grace
- The Onion's hipster misogyny
- Don’t blame Seth MacFarlane!
- Seth MacFarlane saw your boobs
- How could the Onion's Quvenzhané Wallis tweet go so wrong?
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11