In a letter to the academy, lawmakers wrote Seth MacFarlane "reduced our finest female actresses to caricatures"
Assemblywoman Bonnie Lowenthal and Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, both Democrats who lead the Legislature’s women’s caucus, sent a letter to Academy president Hawk Koch on Tuesday calling on the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to use “better judgment” when selecting a host for next year.
“There was a disturbing theme about violence against women being acceptable and funny,” the lawmakers wrote. “From topical jabs about domestic violence to singing about `boobs’ during a film’s rape scene, Seth MacFarlane crossed the line from humor to misogyny.”
And in what seems like a very honest assessment of the evening, they closed their letter thusly:
“On Oscar night, when Hollywood seeks to honor its best, Seth MacFarlane’s monologue reduced our finest female actresses to caricatures and stereotypes, degrading women as a whole and the filmmaking industry itself.”
Sounds about right.
More Related Stories
- How "Life of Pi" anticipated 9/11
- Is Obama to blame for North Korea?
- Tim Graham: "Average viewer would not be able to guess Karen Finney is African-American"
- I'll tell you what's funny
- The week in 10 pics
- How to do outrage
- Ben's right: Marriage is work. That's not necessarily a bad thing
- Tina Fey: "No way" would I host Oscars
- "We saw your junk": The inevitable parody arrives
- Anne Hathaway: Hollywood's most polarizing star
- "We Saw Your Boobs" celebrates rape on film
- How to mock a child
- Seth MacFarlane says he won't host Oscars again
- Must-see morning clip: Colbert on the Oscars
- Report: Onion staffers angry over Wallis apology
- Seth MacFarlane to Rush Limbaugh: Now I understand why conservatives hate the media
- Jennifer Lawrence's fall to grace
- The Onion's hipster misogyny
- Don’t blame Seth MacFarlane!
- Seth MacFarlane saw your boobs
- How could the Onion's Quvenzhané Wallis tweet go so wrong?
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11