MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin has called on the country’s top brass to deliver a drastic upgrade of the armed forces in the next three years to fend off attempts from abroad to “tip the strategic balance” in the world.
In his address to Russia’s defense ministry and top military officials, Putin said Wednesday that Russia is witnessing “insistent attempts” to tip the balance and complained about U.S. attempts to set up a new missile defense system.
Russia is spending some 23 trillion rubles ($750 billion) through 2020 to revamp its aging army.
Putin also blasted the legacy of former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov who was dismissed in November last year amid a corruption scandal involving billions of rubles reportedly embezzled by the ministry and affiliated firms.
More Related Stories
- UK emergency committee convenes after attack
- Brave scout leader tried to reason with London attackers
- If Alex Pareene was a cable news executive...
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
- UK officials: Radical Islam behind London attack
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- London machete attack could be linked to terrorism
- Conservative group blames military sexual assault on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal
- Lois Lerner, IRS disaster
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- Experts: Fox News spying scandal a game-changer
- San Francisco Giant Jeremy Affeldt apologizes for homophobic past
- 9-year-old slams Rahm over Chicago schools
- Stockholm riots rage for third day
- Wall Street firm's "Golden Pitchbook" is totally sexist, full of lies
- Must-see morning clip: Toronto's eccentric and allegedly crack-smoking mayor
- Federal court strikes down Arizona abortion ban
- Jodi Arias: I deserve a second chance
- Oklahoma residents return home to pick up the pieces
- Florida man with connection to Tsarnaev killed by FBI
- FBI identifies 5 Benghazi suspects
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11