Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. HOW THE POPE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Benedict XVI tried to set Catholicism back on a conservative path, believing that reforms of recent decades weren’t in keeping with the church’s teachings.
2. A LIKELY BOOST FOR SYRIA’S REBELS
The U.S. and some of its European allies appear poised to start delivering meals, medical kits and other forms of nonlethal assistance.
3. SUPREME COURT REVIEWS LANDMARK VOTING RIGHTS LAW
The justices signal that a key part of the statute may have outlived its usefulness. “Times change,” Justice Anthony Kennedy says.
4. YET ANOTHER WORRY FOR AFGHANISTAN
The impending withdrawal of U.S. and other foreign combat forces means more than a loss of firepower. International aid will also decline.
5. HAPPY DAYS JUST MAY BE HERE AGAIN
The Dow rises to within 100 points of its all-time high on signs of a housing recovery.
6. WITH IMMIGRANTS FREED, OFFICIAL DEPARTS
The AP obtains a letter announcing the retirement of a top Homeland Security official after illegal immigrants were freed from jail as a cost-cutting measure.
7. NO GIRLS’ ROOM FOR BOY
A Colorado couple is suing a school district for not allowing their son to use the girls’ bathroom. The 6-year-old has a disorder and identifies as the opposite gender.
8. LUCKLESS — AND LIVID — IN LUXOR
An Egyptian city utterly dependent on foreign visitors sees its fortunes plummet with the fiery crash of a sightseeing balloon.
9. IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH. AND IN SPACE.
A tycoon announces plans to send a married couple on a privately built spaceship on a slingshot voyage around Mars.
10. THE ELVIS OF THE IVORIES
Van Cliburn, the pianist who outplayed the Soviets in 1958 and returned home to the first ticker-tape parade ever for a classical musician, dies at 78.
More Related Stories
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
- Record tornado devastates Oklahoma
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- Tornado reduces Oklahoma City suburb to rubble
- AP: Toll at least 37 dead in Okla. tornado
- Entire Midwest on tornado warning
- Oregon senator proposes appeal to Monsanto Protection Act
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Beltway scandal machine breaks, knows nothing about America
- Gitmo hunger striker launches Twitter campaign
- "Hero" cop, honored by Obama, accused of double rape
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Pentagon adviser pushed Anthrax drug, which his firm produced
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- The new geography of poverty
- Promotion for NYPD cop who cost city $1.5m in settlements
- Obama to all-male university graduates: Be the best husband to "your boyfriend or partner"
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- GOP attorney general candidate tried to force women to report miscarriages to police
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11