Doctors say that the "Mary Tyler Moore" actress may only have three months to live
Valerie Harper, the 73-year-old actress known to fans as the brazen upstairs neighbor, Rhoda Morgenstern, on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and spinoff, “Rhoda,” revealed to People Magazine that she has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. According to her doctors, she may only have three months to live.
Harper, who battled lung cancer in 2009, said she now has eptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare condition in which cancer cells spread in the membrane surrounding the brain. She was diagnosed in January, after complained of a numbness in her jaw. “(I) was rehearsing away, and then it was as if I had Novocaine,” she told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
“This is a really complicated condition,” said her neuro-oncologist, Dr. Jeremy Rudnick. “The spinal fluid is a collection of fluid that’s being circulated (through the brain) kind of like a sink. The fluid itself is growing cancer cells, so they are multiplying in there. Those cells start to coat the brain.”
But Harper has maintained strong resolve despite a grim news: When given her prognosis, she told People,“I was stunned.” “And in the next minute I thought, ‘This could draw more attention to cancer research.’”
“I don’t think of dying,” she said. ”I think of being here now.”
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at email@example.com. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Amazon set to launch fine arts gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
- Bieber booed, Miguel falls on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: Love, acid and whores. Lots of whores
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11