Oakland police kept man on Most Wanted list for nothing

A man with no arrest warrant out for him was mistakenly on the list for sixth months

Topics: Oakland, opd, Police, false arrest, most wanted, California,

Oakland police kept man on Most Wanted list for nothing (Credit: Shutterstock/Michael D Brown)

Chau Van was surprised to hear that he was one of Oakland’s “most wanted” criminals last year — after all, there wasn’t even a warrant out for his arrest. According to Courthouse News, “Oakland Police [kept Van] on its Most Wanted list for six months though he was not wanted for anything, the man claims in court.”

Van has now sued the police department for publicly branding him “a violent felon.” Via Courthouse News:

The first he heard of the fiasco, Van says, was when a friend called him on Feb. 7, 2012, and told him that KTVU-TV was broadcasting his name and picture, describing him as “one of Oakland’s Most Wanted criminals.”

He went home and checked the Internet and saw that sure enough, “his name and face were on the news and that it was being reported that he was responsible for a shooting,” Van says in the complaint.

The news left him “shocked and afraid” and “scared that the police would break into his house and possibly harm him based on this mistake,” Van says in the complaint.

When Van turned himself in to the police in an attempt to resolve the mistake, he was held in a jail cell for 72 hours and the OPD released a statement, which began: “One of Oakland’s four most wanted suspects has been taken off the streets. Last week, Oakland’s Police Chief Howard Jordan named Van Chau as one of the City’s four most wanted criminals.” This despite no arrest record ever being put out for Van.

The OPD has not commented on its mistake but Van’s lawsuit seeks costs and punitive damages for defamation, false arrest and imprisonment, civil rights violations and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

 

Natasha Lennard is an assistant news editor at Salon, covering non-electoral politics, general news and rabble-rousing. Follow her on Twitter @natashalennard, email nlennard@salon.com.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

3 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>