Claiming that the film gives an "unrealistic portrayal" of the country
The Associated Press is reporting that several Iranian media outlets, including the Shargh daily, are saying that French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre (famous for reprsenting Venezuelan terrorist Carlos the Jackal) is currently advising Iranian authorities on how to file a lawsuit against Hollywood over Ben Affleck’s Oscar-winning film, “Argo.”
The talks come after officials dismissed the film about the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, calling it anti-Iran propaganda in February, and again taking issue with Michelle Obama’s presentation of the best picture award to “Argo” at the Oscars ceremony. The lawsuit would allege that “Argo” gives an “unrealistic portrayal” of the country, but it’s not clear yet specifically whom the lawsuit would target.
As of January, the Iranian government has been working on its own retelling of the crisis, called “The General Staff.” According to the Hollywood Reporter, the project is being liberally funded by the Art Bureau of the Iranian government.
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at email@example.com. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11