“Girls” season three seeks “heavyset alcoholic,” “chainsmoking nurse,” “Latin maintenance worker type”
As the third season's filming approaches, HBO's New York comedy seeks a racially diverse slate of extras
Central Casting New York has done New York actors a favor and published a list of extras and small parts that aren’t yet cast in “Girls’” third season. (The second season ended on Sunday.)
These roles include “caucasian heavy set ages 18-25 patient,” “chainsmoking nurse,” and “African American patient ages 37-40 well dressed business man with high end suits and/or business casual.” Looks like Hannah might be making another trip to the hospital!
The casting breakdown also includes “Latin maintenance worker type” and “Latin social worker type.” The series was subject to criticisms, particularly in its first season, that minorities were invisible or relegated to service-worker positions like nannies or, well, maintenance workers; in the second season, Dunham cast the actor Donald Glover, who is black, as a love interest.
Actors who can pull off any of these parts — or “alcoholic with teased hair,” or “Caucasian slovenly, beer gut, balding male” — should move quickly; Dunham has previously said that season 3 will begin shooting this month.
Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_ More Daniel D'Addario.
More Related Stories
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
- Bieber booed, Miguel falls on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: Love, acid and whores. Lots of whores
- Taylor Swift leads Billboard winners
- “Game of Thrones” recap: “We must do our duty”
- "The Unwinding": What's gone wrong with America
- Michael J. Fox wins: The best and worst of the new fall shows
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11