The title for the his next song is a South Korean word that can be written as "Assarabia" or "Assaravia" in English
Psy’s new single isn’t out yet, but he’s already worried that it might offend people. The AP reports:
“The announced title for the song can be written as ‘Assarabia’ or ‘Assaravia’ in English. It’s slang used by South Koreans to express thrills. It suggests no ethnicity or body part, but worries have risen that Arabs might misinterpret the title and find it derogatory.”
To address any potential concerns, Psy plans to change some lyrics in “Assaravia” as well.
The single is already being hailed as the follow-up to the viral sensation “Gangnam Style” that set a world record at 1.44 billion views on YouTube. As such, it is going to need to be accompanied by moves that somehow top the horse-dance. “There is such a high level of expectation now,” Psy told George Wayne from Vanity Fair. ”I have to come out strong with my new single.”
Luckily for Psy, Wayne had some ideas:
G.W. Maybe you need to create a new dance phenomenon called “the Bunga Bunga.”
P. I like that. That is funny. But what is the Bunga Bunga?
G.W. Ask Silvio Berlusconi.
P. Who is that?
G.W. It’s a long story, Psy. But I could see Psy doing the Bunga Bunga. It’s big in Italy, they tell G.W.
P. I love that idea. That is a really good idea.
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
- Bieber booed, Miguel falls on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: Love, acid and whores. Lots of whores
- Taylor Swift leads Billboard winners
- “Game of Thrones” recap: “We must do our duty”
- "The Unwinding": What's gone wrong with America
- Michael J. Fox wins: The best and worst of the new fall shows
- First look: The Coens' marvelous folk-music odyssey
- New York's most persecuted subway artist?
- James Franco: "I really felt I was in conversation with Faulkner"
- "Jodorowsky's Dune": The sci-fi classic that never was
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11