There are now four lawsuits against the former puppeteer
Months after Elmo voice actor Kevin Clash resigned from “Sesame Street” over accusations that he engaged in sexual acts with teenage boys, a Pennsylvania man, Sheldon Stephens, 24, is suing the puppeteer, alleging that Clash gave him drugs and engaged in sexual activity in 2008. This is the fourth lawsuit against the voice actor alleging sex abuse.
From the lawsuit, via the New York Post:
” ‘On one occasion, a male chauffeur drove Clash and Sheldon to the chauffeur’s apartment, where they had a crystal meth sex party,’ said the lawsuit, filed in a Pennsylvania federal court.
‘While in the apartment, Clash smoked crystal meth while engaging in sexual activity with Sheldon.’ “
The lawsuit comes after Stephens, the first man to publicly accuse Clash of sexual abuse late last year, later recanted his accusation and signed a statement saying that he had “an adult consensual relationship” with Clash. Stephens is stepping forward now to “save other children.”
“It disgusted me inside because I knew what had happened to me,” he said. “That motivated me and my parents to reach out to ‘Sesame Street’ and kind of warn them against Kevin Clash and about him potentially harming other children.”
Miami attorney Jeff Harmon, who represents all four cases against Clash, told the Baltimore Sun that “All these victims have alleged to me that Kevin Clash was this father figure who offered to help them and groom them with attention and fairly quickly it turned into a sexual relationship.”
So far Clash, 52, has denied the allegations. Clash’s lawyer, however, called the case “meritless,” saying “Mr. Clash continues to deny any wrongdoing and we intend to defend this case forcefully.”
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at email@example.com. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11