Among his health concerns, the singer maintains that record labels won't sign him because he's too old
Doctors are cautioning singer Morrissey to stop touring — permanently. The news comes a week after the singer canceled his U.S. tour, citing increasing health concerns, “including a bleeding ulcer, Barrett’s esophagus and double pneumonia,” according to a press release.
From the Guardian:
“Morrissey had become anemic owing to his serious loss of blood, with a compromised immune system. ‘The slightest gust of wind and I would have a terrible cold,’ he recalled. Finally, arriving at Mexico’s Vive Latino festival, ‘the doctors … said ‘No no no no, you cannot.’ Not only was Morrissey still in poor health, he had apparently “soaked up all the insurance”. ‘I’ve had so much medical attention … [that] we couldn’t actually continue any more, because we weren’t insured to continue.’”
The former Smiths frontman said he has been ‘cautioned’ to stop touring. ‘But it’s difficult for me because, it’s very engrained within me,” he said. ‘I know it’s the best of life … when you tour and when you make music and when you sing … There is nothing better. Can you think of anything?’ He still hopes to resume his live shows.’ “
Morrissey believe his age is halting the production of what could be “three studio albums.” “I have a lot of songs,” he told the Guardian. “We could record three studio albums immediately, very easily. But none of the majors are interested.
“[Major record labels] are only interested in very young people who will fly by and ask for nothing in return,” he said.
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at email@example.com. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11