South Korea forges pact with U.S. against possible North Korea attack

The two countries have signed a new military plan to counter what officials call North Korean "provocations"

Topics: GlobalPost, North Korea, South Korea, Kim Jong-un, Yellow Sea, ,

South Korea forges pact with U.S. against possible North Korea attackSouth Korean army soldiers march during an exercise near the demilitarized zone of Panmunjom in Paju, South Korea. (Credit: AP/Ahn Young-joon)
This article originally appeared on GlobalPost.

Global Post SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea and the US have signed a new military plan to counter what officials call North Korean “provocations.”

The plan lays out how the allies will communicate with each other and react to any future aggression from North Korea.

It provides for a joint response from the two countries, even if there is a limited attack from the North.

North and South Korea are still technically at war after signing an armistice, not peace treaty. Previously, help from the US and its 28,000 troops in South Korea was optional in minor skirmishes.

In the event of a large-scale resumption of war, according to GlobalPost senior correspondent in Korea, Geoffrey Cain, the US will assume operational command over all forces in South Korea.

“That means the 8th Army, which is based in Seoul, will have the ultimate say over both the movements of American and South Korean troops,” Cain said from Seoul, adding:

Today, the US and South Korea signed a different type of plan that could enlist Washington in small-scale attacks from North Korea.

The contingency plan is called “South Korean-led, US-supported,” and has been put on paper in order to serve as a deterrent against North Korean provocations. The allies refused to divulge further details on how the US would function in its supporting role.

Pyongyang is basically waging a guerrilla war, according to GlobalPost’s Cain, using rickety old equipment against the technologically superior South Koreans.

“So it’s understandable why the North has occasionally launched quick, containable naval or artillery strikes in, say, the West Sea, known to Americans at the Yellow Sea — because they know they’d lose a large-scale war,” Cain said.

Washington has always held back Seoul from responding to the North’s provocations with military force. Now that the US can get involved, the balance of power could be shaken up at least a little.

And that’s exactly what South Korea has been trying to contain. BBC notes:

The “provocative” acts that the plan seeks to address include incursions on the border and by low-flying aircraft, and attacks on border islands, says the Agence-France Presse news agency.

Tensions between the two Koreas are now at a high since Kim Jong Un’s regime detonated a nuclear device in February. The US and South Korea have been conducting military drills that North Korea considers a threat.

The northern nation has said the actions of the allies have put the peninsula on the brink of war, with the Obama administration boosting its anti-missile defenses as a result.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

0 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>