Possible suspect in ricin case goes into hiding
A Mississippi man has dropped out of sight from the media while cooperating with authorities, his lawyer says
Topics: Associated Press, Ricin, Roger Wicker, Barack Obama, Mississippi, aol_on, Technology News, News
A Prince George's County, Md. firefighter dressed in a protective suit walks into a government mail screening facility in Hyattsville, Md., Wednesday, April 17, 2013. (Credit: AP/Alex Brandon)SALTILLO, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi man whose home and business were searched as part of an investigation into poisoned letters sent to the president and others has dropped out of sight in order to escape the news media spotlight, but is cooperating with authorities, a friend and his attorney said.
Everett Dutschke, 45, had his home and former business in Tupelo, Miss., searched in connection with the letters, which allegedly contained ricin. They were sent last week to President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi and earlier to an 80-year-old Mississippi judge, Sadie Holland.
Charges were initially filed against an Elvis impersonator but then dropped. Attention then turned to Dutschke, who has ties to the former suspect and the judge and senator.
Dutschke (pronounced DUHS’-kee), who previously had kept in touch with reporters from The Associated Press, did not answer or return calls to his cellphone Thursday, a day investigators spent searching a different home where he had spent time a day earlier about 20 miles from Tupelo.
He just needed to get away from all the news media attention, his friend Kirk Kitchens told the AP. “I just helped him get out of the spotlight,” Kitchens said at his home in nearby Saltillo.
Kitchens said he and Dutschke stayed at a home for a while Wednesday before slipping out through the woods to rendezvous with someone who drove Dutschke elsewhere.
Earlier in the week, as investigators searched his primary residence in Tupelo, Dutschke had remarked to reporters, “I don’t know how much more of this I can take.”
Dutschke has not been arrested or charged in the letters case. The FBI has said nothing about the building searches or Thursday’s developments. Dutschke’s lawyer, Lori Nail Basham, said there is no arrest warrant for her client, who she said continues to cooperate with investigators.
Investigators spent much of the day Thursday investigating the second home as a plane circled overhead. Earlier in the day, Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson said agents told him Dutschke had been under surveillance, but authorities weren’t sure where he had gone.
The case has taken a couple of twists and turns since charges were initially filed last week against Paul Kevin Curtis, 45, an Elvis impersonator, but then dropped after authorities said they had discovered new information. Curtis’ lawyers say he was framed. Attention then turned to Dutschke, who has ties to the former suspect and the judge and senator.



What People Are Actually Doing On The Internet In 2013
How To Get Alerted The Second "Arrested Development" Shows Up On Netflix
How Chrome's Best Feature Got Killed Before Launch
Checking In On Our #FollowATeens
Barnes & Noble integrating Google Play into Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets
When a defense contractor gets hacked repeatedly, you know cybersecurity is a problem
Games meet brains: the new immersive tech of gaming
Here’s how smartphones, tablets and huge databases will upend market research
Home solar leasing business shines for SunPower

Comments
0 Comments