Remains of marathon bombing suspect to be claimed

Topics: From the Wires, ,

BOSTON (AP) — The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was set to be claimed Thursday.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Terrel Harris said authorities were informed someone would be claiming the 26-year-old’s remains Thursday night. He had no more information.

The medical examiner determined Tsarnaev’s cause of death Monday, but officials said it won’t become public until his remains are released and a death certificate is filed.

Tsarnaev’s widow, Katherine Russell, who lives in Rhode Island, learned this week that the medical examiner was ready to release his body and wanted it released to his side of the family, her attorney Amato DeLuca said days ago.

Tsarnaev’s uncle Ruslan Tsarni, of Maryland, said Tuesday night the family would take the body.

“Of course, family members will take possession of the body,” Tsarni said. “We’ll do it. We will do it. A family is a family.”

Tsarnaev, who after the marathon bombing had appeared in surveillance photos wearing a black cap and identified as Suspect No. 1, died following a gunfight with authorities who had launched a massive manhunt for him.

The April 15 bombing, near the marathon’s finish line, killed three people and injured more than 260 others.

Authorities said Tsarnaev and his younger brother during the gunfight with police set off a pressure cooker bomb and tossed grenades before the older brother ran of ammunition.

Police said they tackled the older brother and began to handcuff him but had to dive out of the way at the last second when the younger brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, drove a stolen car at them. They said the younger brother then ran over his brother’s body as he drove away from the scene to escape.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in a federal prison and faces a charge of using a weapon of mass destruction to kill.

The Tsarnaev brothers’ mother says the allegations against them are lies.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

0 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>