UN wants more evidence on Syrian chemical weapons
A new report reveals there's "reasonable grounds" to believe they've been used, but by whom remains unclear
Topics: Associated Press, Syria, United Nations, Barack Obama, Human Rights Council, The Middle East, Ban Ki-Moon, war crimes, aol_on, Video, News
This image made from video posted by Ugarit News and taken on Wednesday, May 29, 2013, shows an explosion from shelling in Qusair, Syria. (Credit: AP/Ugarit News via AP video)BEIRUT (AP) — A U.N. report on Syria said Tuesday there are “reasonable grounds” to believe that limited quantities of toxic chemicals have been used as weapons in at least four attacks in Syria’s civil war, but said more evidence is needed to determine the precise chemical agents used or who used them.
The U.N. Commission of Inquiry said conclusive findings can be reached only after testing samples taken directly from victims or the site of the alleged attacks. It called on Damascus to allow a team of experts into the country.
President Barack Obama has said repeatedly that Syria’s use of chemical weapons, or the transfer of its stockpiles to a terrorist group, would cross a “red line.” Tuesday’s report appeared to strengthen U.S. officials’ assertions that more definitive proof was needed.
The commission’s report to the Human Rights Council on violations in Syria’s conflict accused both sides of committing war crimes. In an apparent message to European countries considering arming Syrian rebels, the report warned that the transfer of arms would heighten the risk of violations, leading to more civilian deaths and injuries.
“War crimes and crimes against humanity have become a daily reality in Syria where the harrowing accounts of victims have seared themselves on our conscience,” the report said. “There is a human cost to the increased availability of weapons,” it added.
U.N.-Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has appointed a U.N. team to investigate alleged chemical weapons attacks in Syria after the Syrian government asked him to investigate a purported attack by rebels on March 19 on Khan al-Assal village near the northern city of Aleppo. But the Syrian government insists that a probe be limited to that incident.
Syrian soldiers were reportedly killed and injured in the incident, which the rebels blame on Syrian forces. Opposition activists have claimed more than six instances when regime forces used chemical weapons.
Ban is insisting on a broader investigation, including a December incident in Homs. He appointed Swedish chemical weapons expert Ake Sellstrom to lead a U.N. investigation. Syria has refused to allow his team into the country.
Last week, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said Iraq under Saddam Hussein inadvertently paved the way for the 2003 U.S.-led invasion by allowing U.N. inspectors into the country, and suggested Syria is not about to make the same mistake. “We will not allow teams of inspectors to come to Syria to do whatever they want,” he said in a TV interview.




Comments
1 Comments