(Taco Bell)

Taco Bell finally reveals the list of ingredients in its mystery meat

It's 88 percent beef, 12 percent other stuff


Lindsay Abrams
April 30, 2014 6:25PM (UTC)

It's a question that's haunted fast food eaters since 2011 when, in response to a lawsuit, Taco Bell revealed that its taco filling is made of 88 percent beef: What's the other 12 percent?

A newly launched section of the chain's website at long last provides the answer, and a bit anticlimactically, what before was only identified as a "Signature Recipe" turns out to contain no big surprises. In other words, the chain avoided implicating itself in the next major meat scandal.

Advertisement:

On the contrary, there's an argument to be made that Taco Bell's doing consumers a service by education them about the "unpronounceable" ingredients that, for better or worse, come standard in most processed foods, including typical grocery store fare. For example, its explanation for maltodextrin: "It sounds weird, but it's actually a form of mildly sweet sugar we use to balance the flavor." Soy lecithin, one of the most commonly used additives, gets similar treatment.

"There's nothing on this list I have a problem eating," Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, told ABC News. So presuming you didn't already have a problem eating Taco Bell, there's probably no reason to reconsider now.


Lindsay Abrams

MORE FROM Lindsay AbramsFOLLOW readingirl

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Fast Food Food Meat Processed Food Taco Bell




BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •