The alleged San Bernardino shooters in fact did not post messages in support of jihad on social media, the FBI revealed Wednesday morning.
FBI Director James Comey told the media in a news conference that "We have found no evidence of a posting on social media by either of them," according to NBC journalist Bradd Jaffy.
14 people were killed and 22 were injured in the shootings in the southern California town on December 2, 2015.
The attacks, which were previously attributed to Islamic extremism, have led to a wave of anti-Muslim hate crimes across the U.S.
San Bernardino was mentioned 19 times in the Republican presidential debate last night. The candidates invariably blamed the shooting on "radical Islamist jihadists."
CNN host Wolf Blitzer echoed the claims, stating "Americans have witnessed terror attacks in Paris and San Bernardino. The FBI director says the country now faces the greatest terror threat since 9/11."