Space porn: These images are (quite literally) out of this world
The Boy Scouts’ sordid history with sexual abuse is not a secret. But recent findings show what lengths the group allegedly went through to hide signs of wrongdoing. According to a review of 1,600 confidential files, known within the organization as “perversion files,” the Los Angeles Times has discovered that out of more than 500 allegations of sexual abuse between 1970 and 1991, the Boy Scouts allegedly failed to report about 80 percent of cases to authorities and actively covered up about 20 percent of them. According to the paper, The Boy Scouts chose to deal with the alleged offenders internally, often by ineffectively blacklisting them or allowing them to leave for “bogus reasons such as business demands, ‘chronic brain dysfunction’ and duties at a Shakespeare festival.”
In a file from 1976, for example:
In 1976, five Boy Scouts wrote detailed complaints accusing a Pennsylvania scoutmaster of two rapes and other sex crimes, according to his file. He abruptly resigned in writing, saying he had to travel more for work.
“Good luck to you in your new position,” a top troop representative wrote back. He said he was accepting the resignation “with extreme regret.”
In the 1970s and 1980s, the organization went so far as to send letters to scout leaders suspected of sexual abuse that said: “We are making no accusations and will not release this information to anyone, so our action in no way will affect your standing in the community.”
Now, more damning documents may be on the way. In June, the Oregon Supreme Court ordered the release of another 1,247 confidential files that date back to 1965. Jurors used the files to impose a judgment of $18.5 million in a settlement against the Boy Scouts in 2010. The Times says that the new information may raise “the prospect of a costly wave of litigation for the Boy Scouts.”
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.More Prachi Gupta.
NASA astronaut Mike Hopkins
On December 28, 2013, Expedition 38 crew member Mike Hopkins participating in the second of two space walks to replace a degraded pump module on the International Space Station. (NASA astronaut Rick Mastracchio is reflected in his helmet!)
The Soyuz TMA-10M
The Soyuz TMA-10M headed towards the International Space Station with crew members from Expedition 37 onboard.
40 years ago the Apollo 8 mission flew up to the moon, orbited it ten times and then returned to Earth. This picture was taken from that flight and shows the Earth as it seemingly rises in similar fashion to a sunrise.
Sunrise from Expedition 36
NASA Flight Engineer Karen L. Nyberg of Expedition 36 took this photo of the sun rising -- a sight they saw nearly 16 times per day due to the speed of the International Space Station's orbit around the earth.
A pair of NanoRacks CubeSats -- nanosattelite spacecrafts carrying experiments -- were launched by Expedition 38.