The truth about vaginas
After playing God in the film "Dogma," rock's goddess of angst will star in an off-Broadway play about female genitalia.
Alanis Morissette has wailed, whined and raged about her
crotch’s emotions on innumerable international stages with her
band Sexual Chocolate ever since her “Jagged Little Pill” album
arched into mega-platinum sales. She’s also exhibited intimate
areas of her flesh in her music videos. So it’s not surprising
that the carnal Canadian’s next creative venture will be to
costar in an off-Broadway theater production of “ href= "http://www.vaginamonologues.com/">The Vagina
Aside from an all-star benefit performance last year,
the Obie Award-winning
play written by Eve Ensler
has previously been
performed exclusively as a
one-woman show by the
author in New York, Berlin,
London and Jerusalem. Next week, reports
Tuesday’s Ottawa Citizen, the Westside Theater in Manhattan will
restage the text by dividing up the monologues equally between
three different actresses. Various casts will walk the boards for
Alanis is slated for March 21 through April 2. Winona Ryder, Rhea
Perlman, Lara Flynn Boyle, Erica Jong, Ricki Lake, Camryn
Manheim, Marlo Thomas, Marisa Tomei and Rosie Perez are also
scheduled to appear. A recent “V-Day” (Vagina Day) benefit
performance to aid organizations that fight violence against
women featured readings by Susan Sarandon, Whoopi Goldberg and
Calista Flockhart. virtual="/health/src/naked_world.htmlf" -- >
“The Vagina Monologues” was created to crack the sexual taboo
that surrounds any discussion of vaginal issues. The script is
swollen with hysterical and imaginative anecdotes and farcical
orgasmic moans, but there are also elements of tragedy. Ensler
has included, for example, excerpts from her interview with a
Bosnian rape victim.
Fans familiar with Morissette’s lyrics and rumored promiscuity
know that their horny heroine won’t be inhibited when she
delivers her daring lines. She’s also no acting novice.
Morissette personified God in the recent film “Dogma” and when
she was a mere 10-year-old sprite she starred on the children’s
cult classic program, “ href="http://www.ycdtotv.com">You Can’t Do That On
Hank Hyena is a former columnist for SF Gate, and a frequent contributor to Salon.More Hank Hyena.
“I should have had the drugs”: The pregnancy that made me fear cars, carrots, forest fires and David Bowie
More Related Stories
- When HIV is a turn-on
- "I should have had the drugs": The pregnancy that made me fear cars, carrots, forest fires and David Bowie
- Bill Nye: Creationism is "bad for science education, bad for the U.S., and thereby bad for humankind"
- A breast cancer anthem that rocks
- Motherhood isn't the "world's toughest job"
- Medical experts urge Tennessee governor to veto bill that would jail women for their pregnancy outcomes
- LA school administrators suspend science teacher for doing his job
- Scientists: Australian prime minister is engineering an "environmental train wreck"
- 10 most endangered (and unique) birds on the planet
- How "Dungeons & Dragons" saved my autistic son
- Boston Marathon bombing, one year later: Were the Tsarnaevs really cowards?
- My iconic nightmare: How I became the face of the Boston bombing
- Report: Many girls view sexual assault as normal behavior
- Turn off your iPad in church!
- Marsha Blackburn: "It is Republicans that have led the fight for women’s equality"
- Alaska Republicans propose a law that lets Alaska Republicans tell doctors what counts as a medical emergency
- Patrick Henry College: You can trust us to handle the sexual assault crisis we've been ignoring for years
- No, you haven't been "wrongly branded," Jenny McCarthy
- Nevada GOP drops platform against marriage equality and abortion rights
- My sexual awakening at 70
- What kind of porn turns women on?
Featured Slide Shows
- 1 of 11
Kim Leeson/George W. Bush Presidential Center via Flickr
Recent Slide Shows
- The best and worst series finale music of all time
- Stories from a Warming Planet: Wildfires
- Seven celebrity "authors" who didn't do it alone
- They're no "Divergent": Eight young-adult movie franchises that died untimely deaths
- Space porn: These images are (quite literally) out of this world
- Gridlock in Atlanta
- The 7 most awkward family holiday photos of all time
- Red List 2013