- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
For cilantro sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped and thoroughly washed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeds and membranes removed, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves (stems removed before measuring)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Cut two 12-inch pieces of aluminum foil.
- Grease the shiny side of the foil with the oil. Place 2 fillets side by side on each square and fold up the outer edges.
- Pour 1 tablespoon lime juice over each fillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold and pinch the aluminum foil extra tightly to create a watertight seal around each pair of fillets.
- Place foil packets on the top rack of the dishwasher. Run dishwasher for the entire wash and dry cycle. (To heighten the theatrics, ask your guests to crowd around the dishwasher when you put the salmon in.)
- When cycle is complete, take out salmon (in front of your disbelieving guests), discard foil, place one fillet on each plate, and spoon a generous serving of cilantro sauce over top.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan.
- Add the leek, shallot, jalapeno, and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent but not brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the stock. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. (Adjust heat as required to simmer.) The liquid should reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Add the sour cream and “pulse” until mixed. Set aside.
Le Secret: Make sure the packet is airtight by pressing down on it gently with your hand. If air escapes easily, repackage.
Adventure club: Poach the salmon with yesterday’s dishes and lemon-scented dishwasher detergent (I do it this way all the time).
Garnish: Cilantro sprigs.
Suggested Accompaniment: Yellow string beans, steamed and glazed with lemon juice and butter.
i) Sour cream may be replaced with yogurt.
ii) Chicken broth may be replaced with vegetable broth (for fish-eating vegetarians).
More Related Stories
- Diet soda rots your teeth "like meth and cocaine"
- Will U.S. amphibians become endangered species?
- I don't hate millennials anymore!
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- The secrets of cicada survival
- Nobody "needs" to rape
- Catholic Church in market for more exorcists
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Boy Scouts to members: Just don't be a gay adult
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- My text blew up in my face
- Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay boys
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- Man arrested for sending Craigslist sex party to neighbor's house
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11