Made from things you probably bought for your kid, this is the new mother's little helper
Late at night, collapsed into bed, my husband and I lay quietly. We are exhausted, unable to have adult conversation. I startle when I hear him quietly and without warning ask, “In the episode ‘A Letter for Swiper’ what happens to the Special Delivery Bird?”
Without hesitation, I yell, “Her glasses break; HER GLASSES BREAK!!”
We laugh wickedly for half an hour trying to one-up each other with Dora the Explorer trivia. I’d like to tell you it gets kinky, but alas … I cannot. This is strictly a pissing contest. We are sincerely trying to determine who knows the most about our son’s favorite cartoon character.
It isn’t as if we don’t know how far we’ve fallen. We used to have arguments over the existence of God, women’s agency in Dickens’ novels, the healthcare crisis. We are today reduced to debating at length the route Dora takes to Abuela’s house. On the bright side, we’re learning a lot of Spanish.
Sí, por favor. Quiero más alcohol. Mucho más. Pronto!!
I came to my Dora fandom five months ago. My son, who was 6 months at the time, was throwing a classic YouTube baby meltdown and I was at the end of my rope. I put him in his baby swing, turned on the television, and tuned into Nickelodeon. He stopped crying. He giggled. I looked at him and then back toward the screen and I was introduced to Dora Marquez and her sidekick, Boots the Monkey. My baby looked up at me with a grin, the likes of which I had never seen before. He does this often when he watches Dora. He looks at me as if to say, “Mom! Did you see that? Hilarious!!” Each episode follows Dora and Boots as they embark on an adventure to find something, learn something, or help someone. Motherhood has been made easier by Dora.
Now, I’m thankful for the existence of Dora. But I’m also an adult and I want to cover my ears when I hear the Dora theme song for the third time in an hour. She invades my head while I drive, while I eat, and while I work. My dreams take place in Dora’s fantasy land where I have a monkey for a sidekick and I’m great at solving problems and I never hold a grudge. My mind turns to mush as I waste one more 22-minute time block finding out whether Dora will choose the right boat to take across the noisy river. Mama needs a drink.
I give you …
Deleite de Dora (Dora’s Delight)
Derived from ingredients I had in my refrigerator, Deliete de Dora is a fruity summer cocktail that will quell the heat and heighten your senses. I will find out later tonight if it spices up Dora trivia. (For this recipe I used a small stemless wine glass, which was the perfect size for containing this drink. I also used a single-serve coffee press, although a cocktail shaker would probably work as well.)
- 1 standard shot glass of spiced rum
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Grenadine cocktail syrup
- ¼ cup canned pineapple chunks and ½ cup of the leftover pineapple juice
- ¼ small apple, cubed
- ½ small orange, cubed, plus one thin slice
- ½ banana, cut in thick chunks
- To begin, place the apple chunks, orange chunks, pineapple chunks and banana chunks into the coffee press. Next, pour the Grenadine syrup over the fruit followed by the shot of spiced rum and ½ cup pineapple juice from the can. Stir the contents of the coffee press and let stand for 10 minutes or longer. The longer you wait the fruitier the drink will be.
- Press down the plunger into the carafe as far as it will go. The reason a coffee press works well for this recipe is that when it presses down on the fruit chunks the juice and small amounts of pulp are allowed to combine with the rum and create bountiful flavor.
- At the bottom of your glass place a thin slice of orange and then cover with ice, as much as you prefer. Pour the juice contents out of the coffee press onto the ice. Add the ¼ cup apple juice and ½ cup orange juice, stir the contents of the glass, and you’re finished! Lo Hicimos! We did it!
If you have kiddos, simply eliminate the rum and give them their own fruit cocktail to enjoy. While they watch Dora. Again. Ay dios mio.
More Related Stories
- I'm not achieving my dreams!
- The most popular Tumblr porn
- Slave descendants seek equal rights from Cherokee Nation
- Snapchat is secretly storing your photos
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Facebook's hate speech problem
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- When my home was destroyed
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- You are less beautiful than you think
- "Ghetto" tour lets you gawk at New York's poor
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- My miscarriages made me question being pro-choice
- Why I tried to be a punk
- I'm terrified of the cicada onslaught
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- SAT's right answers are all wrong
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11