2014's fast food atrocities
Burger King's black cheeseburger: Made with squid ink and bamboo charcoal, arguably a symbol of meat's destructive effect on the planet. Only available in Japan.
Skimming through the comments section of Sarah Palin’s most recent Facebook note earlier this week, we were struck not so much by the hostility toward President Obama, but by the strained attempts to twist his name into some kind of an insult: “Nobama,” “Obomba,” “La Bamba” and so on. Other commenters skipped the puns and crafted their own nicknames for their president. We then checked Mike Huckabee’s page and found the same phenomenon at work. So we decided to compile our favorites:
10. Obummer – Dave McArdle, from Nashville, Tenn.
9. Obonehead – Timothy Ditter, from Little Elm, Texas
8. Obeyme – David Burkhardt, location unavailable
7. Lyer in Chief – Jimmy Douglas, from Lubbock, Texas
6. Golfer-in-Chief – Jim Schroud, from Sun Prarie, Wis.
5. King of Teleprompters – Nelinda Fleming, location unavailable
4. Barry the weak – Don Barnhill, location unavailable
3. One Big A*# Mistake America – Elizabeth Mushill, from Bethalto, Ill.
2. Obama 2012!!! Muslim Reign is Christian Pain! – Thomas Dado, from Ventura, Calif.
1. Enuich(sic)-in-Chief – Charles Harry Sharrard, location unavailable
Justin Spees is an editorial fellow at Salon.More Justin Spees.
Domino's Specialty Chicken: It's like regular pizza, except instead of a crust, there's fried chicken. The company's marketing officer calls it "one of the most creative, innovative menu items we have ever had” -- brain power put to good use.
KFC'S ZINGER DOUBLE DOWN KING: A sandwich made by adding a burger patty to the infamous chicken-instead-of-buns creation can only be described using all caps. NO BUN ALL MEAT. Only available in South Korea.
Taco Bell's Waffle Taco: It took two years for Taco Bell to develop this waffle folded in the shape of a taco, the stand-out star of its new breakfast menu.
Krispy Kreme Triple Cheeseburger: Only attendees at the San Diego County Fair were given the opportunity to taste the official version of this donut-hamburger-heart attack combo. The rest of America has reasonable odds of not dropping dead tomorrow.
Taco Bell's Quesarito: A burrito wrapped in a quesadilla inside an enigma. Quarantined to one store in Oklahoma City.