Hot new Obama scandal has already been debunked — in 2008
Allegations that he was soliciting foreign money were debunked in 2008. But here we go again
By Alex Seitz-WaldTopics: Barack Obama, Campaign Finance, Presidential Race, RNC, Election 2012, 2012 Presidential Elections, Politics News
President Barack Obama speaks during a campaign event at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, Monday, Oct. 8, 2012, in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster) (Credit: AP)Have you heard about the hot new Obama scandal? According to Fox News, the Daily Caller, the Washington Examiner, the Free Beacon, Town Hall, et al., the Obama campaign is soliciting donations from foreigners via its website in direct violation of U.S. election law. Donald Trump took this charge to its logical, birthery conclusion, tweeting a link to a story about the scandal along with the brilliant quip: “Foreign candidate getting foreign donations.”
Criminal activity! Foreigners! Attempts to steal the election! The story has all the makings of a major scandal ready to roil the campaign and expose Obama’s corruption. There are just two small caveats: First, this is all a bit (read: entirely) overblown, and second, these new allegations were already made and rebutted four years ago.
The nut of the allegations come from a new report from the Government Accountability Institute, which notes that with the rise of online campaign donation tools, candidates of both parties and at all levels run the risk (unwittingly or intentionally) of accepting foreign donations. The Obama campaign’s website is marginally more vulnerable than others because it doesn’t use a credit card verification value, which asks donors for those three numbers on the back of the credit card (the Obama campaign says it doesn’t use a CVV because it deters small donations; more than 200 members of Congress don’t use it for their campaigns, either).
But the Obama website includes other security features to keep out foreign donors, such as requiring anyone donating from a foreign address to present a passport number. And the single case of a foreigner actually successfully donating to the Obama campaign that GAI report or any bloggers have been able to identify was based on an erroneous translation of an unverified account from a Norwegian blogger. The report, which apparently relied on Google Translate, said the blogger reported successfully donating to Obama via the website. But three Norwegian speakers, including a scholar of the language, told Josh Israel of ThinkProgress that the blogger actually wrote that he would donate to Obama if he could.
Nonetheless, even the Republican National Committee is getting involved, sending a very serious-sounding letter to Attorney General Eric Holder requesting an investigation into allegations that “President Obama’s re-election campaign committee has solicited and accepted illegal donations from foreign nationals.”
If this all sounds a bit familiar, it’s because this hot new scandal is sort of a reheating of the hot new scandal of October 2008. That year, conservative blogs, chain emails and eventually the RNC made hay of Obama’s much-vaunted online donation effort, warning that foreigners were using the Obama online donation operation — then a fairly novel innovation — to illegally donate to the candidate. “Secret, Foreign Money Floods Into Obama Campaign,” a NewsMax headline blared.
At first, the FEC demurred to investigate, but after much agitating, Republicans finally succeeded last year in convincing the election commission to audit Obama’s 2008 campaign. The foreign donors would finally be exposed! So what did the FEC find? As the Washington Post reported in April of this year, after the audit was complete:
In 2008, Republicans made an issue out of the millions in small donations that Obama’s campaign raised in the last two months of the campaign, charging that he was accepting money from foreigners or fictitious people.
The FEC audit, which included an investigation of “contributions from prohibited sources,” found no evidence to substantiate those allegations.
The audit did, however, find that OFA had failed to disclose $2 million in contributions made in the 48 hours immediately preceding the election. It’s a clear violation, though not the one the RNC was looking for, and OFA could be fined up to 10 percent of those funds in penalties (so far, it appears the FEC has not proceeded with enforcement action).
How devastating was this report? ”Overall, this is a very clean audit report for the Obama campaign. The FEC spent two years picking over $750 million in contributions and expenses and found one violation,” Michael Toner, a former FEC chairman who is now a lawyer at Wiley Rein in Washington, told Reuters. Well, Toner must be some kind of left-wing stooge, right? If so, he did a very good job of hiding when he served as chief counsel to the RNC, general counsel to George W. Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign and transition team, and counsel to the Dole/Kemp Presidential Campaign in 1996. That was all before Bush recess-appointed him to chair the FEC in 2006.
Alex Seitz-Wald is Salon's political reporter. Email him at aseitz-wald@salon.com, and follow him on Twitter @aseitzwald. More Alex Seitz-Wald.
Related Stories
More Related Stories
-
Right-wing media will teach you to build untraceable assault rifles
-
A march on Washington with loaded rifles
-
The real reason not to intervene in Syria
-
Conservatives rally behind MSM's Howard Kurtz
-
April's flaccid jobs report
-
4 reasons why Obama should push for a carbon tax
-
Don't forget Sandy Hook
-
It's time for Democrats to ditch Andrew Jackson
-
Gay French politician receives death threat over marriage announcement
-
Captain America does not like Breitbart editor Ben Shapiro
-
Jeffrey Goldberg's Qatari myopia
-
Is this the sign Democrats need to try again on guns?
-
Terry McAuliffe is the worst, Terry McAuliffe reveals
-
Obama "comfortable with" FDA decision allowing girls 15 and up to buy Plan B
-
Rhode Island legalizes gay marriage
-
Would we give up burgers to stop climate change?
-
Meet the pro-austerity hypocrites
-
NRA is getting a new president
-
House GOPer: Romney was the kid who couldn't explain his science project
-
Predictions for tomorrow's jobs report
-
Hacker steals sensitive infrastructure data from U.S. military
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 pics
close X- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
-
This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
Reuters/Jason Reed -
Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
AP/A.M. Ahad -
Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
AP/Elise Amendola -
Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani -
Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
AP/Manish Swarup -
Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
AP/Jeff Roberson -
Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel -
Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
AP/Liu Yinghua -
On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
AP/Rogelio V. Solis -
The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
AP/David J. Phillip -
Recent Slide Shows
-
The week in 10 pics
-
"Arrested Development" character posters
-
Photos of the Boston manhunt
-
Newspaper headlines covering the Boston explosion
-
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
Related Videos
Most Read
-
71 names so awful New Zealand had to ban them
Kyle Kim, GlobalPost
-
"This could be a career ender for Michele Bachmann"
Alex Seitz-Wald
-
He made me his drug mule
Alix Wall
-
Ted Cruz will never be president
Joan Walsh
-
Claire Messud to Publishers Weekly: "What kind of question is that?"
David Daley
-
Pictures of people who mock me
Haley Morris-Cafiero
-
Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest
Justin Elliott
-
Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?
Emily Matchar
-
How conspiracists think
Sander van der Linden, Scientific American
-
Alex Jones: Conspiracy Inc.
Alex Seitz-Wald
Popular on Reddit
links from salon.com

121 points122 points123 points | 10 comments

90 points91 points92 points | 53 comments

57 points58 points59 points | 5 comments
From Around the Web
Presented by Scribol
-
Rick Perry Levels Targets With An AR-15 In His NRA Intro Video -
FBI Soliciting Benghazi Tips With New Arabic-Language Video -
Joe Biden Loves John McCain - Massachusetts Congressman "Surprised" By Prominent Role He Played In Jason Collins Coming Out
-
Biden Promises Better Protection For American Embassies


Comments
1 Comments