Riley Gunn thought he had won $250,000 -- only to discover he had hit a million
GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) — A Southern Oregon man who was laid off and going back to school had a feeling he should buy a lottery ticket.
The Oregon Lottery says Riley Gunn of Wolf Creek won $1 million in the Jan. 4 Mega Millions drawing, and is now buying a house.
The prize came to $670,000 after taxes. The family picked it up last week in Salem.
Gunn told lottery officials he was thrilled when he initially learned he had won $250,000, but then realized he had chosen the Megaplier option, which multiplied his prize by four, for a total of $1 million before taxes.
Gunn bought the $8 Quick Pick Mega Millions ticket at the Lil’ Pantry Market & Deli in Merlin, which is about 5 miles north of Grants Pass.
More Related Stories
- Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay boys
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- Man arrested for sending Craigslist sex party to neighbor's house
- Greek yogurt, toxic waste hazard?
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
- Illegal construction, shoddy materials at fault in Bangladesh factory disaster
- Pope Francis: Atheists are all right!
- Lawsuit alleges anti-gay hiring practices at ExxonMobil
- Boy Scouts poised to vote, still greatly divided on gay youth
- Is recreational pot use safe?
- How I ended up in a pyramid scheme
- My bipolar partner beat me
- Teenagers care more about online privacy than you think
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
- Kicked out of the mall -- for an anti-cancer hat
- Why do men pretend to be women online?
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11