Cannibal cop’s online contact boasted eating woman and child
Court filings show NYPD officer made plans online with a man who claimed to have roasted a child's pelvis
By Natasha LennardTopics: cannibal cop, NYPD, Rape, cannibalism, Torture, online chat, News
Federal Defender Julie Gatto, left, Police Officer Gilberto Valle, right (AP Photo/Elizabeth Williams) Just when we thought initial reports about NYPD officer Gilberto Valle’s depraved plans to cook and eat women could not get worse, enter Valle’s online interlocutor.
According to court papers, filed in advance of Valle’s February trial on charges that he planned to abduct, rape, torture, cook and eat women, one online contact with the screenname “Moody Blues” told Valle that he had previously eaten “a black woman and a white child.”
Moodly Blues told Valle, 28, that he looked forward to eating a white woman with him and that he’d love to eat another child. “I also love roasting whole pelvises, mind you only did with the little one so far,” Moody Blues wrote to the six-year NYPD veteran, who responded approvingly.
Federal prosecutors argue that the online chats with Moody Blues should be used as evidence at trial, according to the New York Post. Prosecutors wrote that the cyber conversations “are highly probative of Valle’s state of mind and of the existence of an actual, and non-fantastical agreement between Valle and the co-conspirator to commit a kidnapping… Indeed , they are no more sensational, depraved and disturbing than the related portions of the conversations (which Valle concedes are admissible) about shoving a specific and identified woman into an oven, with her legs folded under her, or cooking her over an open fire, slowly, to prolong her suffering,”
Valle is charged with plotting to commit torturous acts with at least three co-conspirators. As the Post noted, “one of his three alleged co-conspirators, Michael Van Hise of Hamilton, N.J., was busted earlier this month after initially cooperating with the FBI. Van Hise, 23, is charged with offering to pay Valle $5,000 to kidnap a woman and deliver her to him to be raped and murdered. He was denied bail when online postings emerged of Van Hise stating his desire to rape his young nieces and infant daughter.
Valle claims that his online discussions were merely fantasy role-play and that he had never and never planned to carry out any acts he appeared to plan online. However, the online chats with Moody Blues show Valle scheming with an individual who claimed to have in fact murdered and eaten a woman and child (who described human flesh as not “quite like pork” but “very meaty”) seems to undermine Cannibal Cop’s defense.
Natasha Lennard is an assistant news editor at Salon, covering non-electoral politics, general news and rabble-rousing. Follow her on Twitter @natashalennard, email nlennard@salon.com. More Natasha Lennard.
Related Stories
More Related Stories
-
Jeffrey Goldberg's Qatari myopia
-
Inside the kiddie gun market
-
UN: Gitmo force-feeding is inhumane
-
Must-see morning clip: Veterans still waiting for medical benefits
-
Jobs report: Unemployment rate falls to 7.5 percent
-
Obama "comfortable with" FDA decision allowing girls 15 and up to buy Plan B
-
Hagel: Arming Syrian rebels is an option
-
How shoppers can help prevent Bangladesh-type disasters
-
Bangladesh official: Disaster is "not really serious"
-
Rhode Island legalizes gay marriage
-
Bombing suspects originally plotted July 4 attack
-
Assata Shakur first woman named on FBI most wanted list
-
Georgia town allegedly diverting sewage to black neighborhood
-
Pic of the day: World Trade Center reborn
-
Hacker steals sensitive infrastructure data from U.S. military
-
Shots fired at Houston airport
-
Howard Kurtz and the Daily Beast "part ways" after Jason Collins error
-
Dutch police may get right to hack into computers
-
U.S. calls for amnesty of American prisoner in North Korea
-
Maryland bans the death penalty
-
Why conservatives should support immigration equality
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 pics
close X- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
-
This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
Reuters/Jason Reed -
Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
AP/A.M. Ahad -
Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
AP/Elise Amendola -
Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani -
Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
AP/Manish Swarup -
Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
AP/Jeff Roberson -
Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel -
Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
AP/Liu Yinghua -
On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
AP/Rogelio V. Solis -
The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
AP/David J. Phillip -
Recent Slide Shows
-
The week in 10 pics
-
"Arrested Development" character posters
-
Photos of the Boston manhunt
-
Newspaper headlines covering the Boston explosion
-
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
Related Videos
Most Read
-
71 names so awful New Zealand had to ban them
Kyle Kim, GlobalPost
-
"This could be a career ender for Michele Bachmann"
Alex Seitz-Wald
-
He made me his drug mule
Alix Wall
-
Ted Cruz will never be president
Joan Walsh
-
Claire Messud to Publishers Weekly: "What kind of question is that?"
David Daley
-
Pictures of people who mock me
Haley Morris-Cafiero
-
Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?
Emily Matchar
-
How conspiracists think
Sander van der Linden, Scientific American
-
Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest
Justin Elliott
-
"Star Trek's" Wil Wheaton tells newborn girl why being a nerd "is awesome"
Prachi Gupta
Popular on Reddit
links from salon.com

30 points31 points32 points | 4 comments


Comments
3 Comments