It is also so vague that almost everything in Russia is basically gay now SLIDE SHOW
Have you heard about this Russian bill aiming to ban “propaganda of homosexualism”? It was just approved by an overwhelming majority in Russia’s lower house of Parliament, and it is expected to be signed into law by president Vladimir Putin.
And it’s awful. Seriously.
Not only would the law criminalize gay pride demonstrations and very basic forms of free expression, it would also penalize anything seen as promoting a gay lifestyle or gay culture to minors, punishing offenses like wearing rainbow suspenders with jail time or fines of up to $16,000. (I am not kidding about the rainbow suspenders.)
So what else is the propaganda of homosexualism? Glad you asked! Because, according to the insanely vague language of the bill, it is everything on Earth.
So here we go. Say goodbye to the following, Russia.
Everything in Russia is gay nowclose X
- 1 of 9
- Saint Basil's Cathedral
Sorry, but Saint Basil's Cathedral is basically the building version of the rainbow flag. It just is.
Credit: Best Russian Tours
Too bad t.A.T.u. waited until 2012 to reunite. The faux-lesbian pop stars could have had a go of it any other year. Now they are just faux propaganda.
- Six grannies from the "Buranovskiye Babushki" band
Sorry, grannies! You may have won the honor of representing Russia at the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest, but dancing old ladies is pure camp. This isn't a John Waters movie. You're banned!
- Brokeback Putin
Presented without comment.
- Kirill I of Moscow
What's there to say about Kirill I, the spiritual head of Russia's Orthodox church? Sure, he might be a driving force behind hateful anti-gay legislation, but he also knows how to rock pastels and cupcake hats.
Credit: Sergey Pyatakov
- Putin and Medvedev bromance
When asked about his "political marriage" with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Putin played coy: "We are friends, friends for many years ... And the way that we have arranged our work today -- it seems to me, we can be proud of this."
- Ivan Drago
Really, "Rocky" villain Ivan Drago? You're banned!
Credit: Image Shack
- The Merry Milkman
This is real: Activists from the St. Petersburg arm of the All-Russian “People’s Council” recently sued the leading juice and dairy producer “Wimm-Bill-Dann" for the "pro-homosexual" imagery on their milk products. Poor Merry Milkman!
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 9
More Related Stories
- How I ended up in a pyramid scheme
- My bipolar partner beat me
- Teenagers care more about online privacy than you think
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
- Kicked out of the mall -- for an anti-cancer hat
- Why do men pretend to be women online?
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- Conservative group blames military sexual assault on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal
- Is Pittsburgh the next Portland?
- Tornado survivor to Wolf Blitzer: Sorry, I'm an atheist. I don't have to thank the Lord
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- San Francisco Giant Jeremy Affeldt apologizes for homophobic past
- Wall Street firm's "Golden Pitchbook" is totally sexist, full of lies
- Federal court strikes down Arizona abortion ban
- I'm not achieving my dreams!
- The most popular Tumblr porn
- Slave descendants seek equal rights from Cherokee Nation
- Snapchat is secretly storing your photos
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Facebook's hate speech problem
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11