The news in nonsense verse
Salon readers dissect Manti Te’O's troubles, the recipes at Burger King and the political scene:
I feel sorry for poor Manti Te’O.
Turns out his sweetie pie wasn’t reo.
It was just his best friend,
Playing those tricks again,
“I’m not gay,” Manti says – oh, pleo.
Key West, Fla.
I grew up with William F. Buckley
Well known for his sesquipedality
Was oft a charade
But it beat out today’s right-wing sophistry.
Barack relies more on Joe,
Whose popularity continues to grow,
He’s doing just fine,
With approval fifty nine,
Joe’s catching up, but does Hillary know?
There once was a “man” named Rand Paul.
Who thought himself Ruler of All.
His mental artillery,
Was pilloried by Hillary.
His sword was revealed to be small.
Deborah Newell Tornello
St. Petersburg, Fla.
As Burger King searches discreet.
For equine in each patty treat,
Consumers can now,
Cry out, “Holy cow!
Fast food might have actual meat!”
Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name and hometown. The deadline is Friday at noon eastern and we’ll publish our favorites on Sunday. Poems may be edited for clarity or scansion. Good luck!
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
- Marc Maron on Twitter feud with Michael Ian Black: "We have an understanding"
- "Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis to jury: "You should be euthanized"
- Ai Weiwei releases heavy metal music video
- Actually, Beyoncé is a feminist
- Marc Maron and Michael Ian Black's epic Twitter battle
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11