The man formerly known as Tony Soprano won't be appearing on the network any time soon
James Gandolfini is remaining a part of HBO’s history.
His pilot, “Criminal Justice,” was not picked up for a full series by the network that aired his hit show “The Sopranos.” The show had a typical-for-HBO starry pedigree, with Richard Price writing and Oscar-winner Steven Zaillian directing; however, since the departure of “The Sopranos,” HBO’s hour-long dramas have tended toward the period (“True Blood,” “Game of Thrones”) or the even-more-prestige-y (Martin Scorsese directed the pilot of “Boardwalk Empire”; polarizing TV auteur Aaron Sorkin is responsible for “The Newsroom”).
HBO also has a history of spiking shows, an expensive habit; Kathryn Bigelow’s pilot for “The Miraculous Year” was killed even after she won two Oscars for “The Hurt Locker,” while six episodes of the Lily Tomlin show “12 Miles of Bad Road” ended up not airing. HBO, with a current stable of hits, from “Girls” to “Game,” likely won’t lose much sleep over missing out on Tony Soprano’s next round.
Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_ More Daniel D'Addario.
More Related Stories
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
- Bieber booed, Miguel falls on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: Love, acid and whores. Lots of whores
- Taylor Swift leads Billboard winners
- “Game of Thrones” recap: “We must do our duty”
- "The Unwinding": What's gone wrong with America
- Michael J. Fox wins: The best and worst of the new fall shows
- First look: The Coens' marvelous folk-music odyssey
- New York's most persecuted subway artist?
- James Franco: "I really felt I was in conversation with Faulkner"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11