The high-rated miniseries "The Bible" features an Obama look-alike as Beelzebub; the right sees the resemblance!
The History Channel has had a smash hit with “The Bible,” a miniseries dramatizing the Good Book — the premiere episode garnered 13.10 million viewers. That audience, last night, got their first peek at the Devil — played by Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, an actor with a strong resemblance to President Barack Obama.
Glenn Beck was among the first to pick up the resemblance:
The hashtag #ObamaSatan has taken off among conservative Twitter users:
"Would you like the standard temptation bailout, or the 30 pieces of silver?" #ObamaSatan— Smitty TheWackoBird (@smitty_one_each) March 18, 2013
"Not only should you eat the forbidden fruit, but you have a right to it and it should be subsidized." #ObamaSatan— Frank J. Fleming (@IMAO_) March 18, 2013
The idea of the president — any president — being a biblical force for evil is not a new one: WorldNetDaily called Bill Clinton “the Antichrist” in 2001, urging readers: “Reject him. Reject the mark of the beast.” It’s part and parcel of the swirling conspiracy theories that surround anyone in a position of power.
And yet with Obama, the speculation has been more open, and the “Bible” character has ignited a long-simmering meme: as far back as 2008, the authors of the post-Rapture novel “Left Behind” felt compelled to issue a statement: “I tell everyone that I don’t think the Antichrist will come out of politics, especially American politics.” Last year, a Texan pastor preached that Obama’s re-election would lead to the Antichrist’s takeover. The resemblance would be far less jarring had Obama not already been believed to be Satanic by some portion of the viewership.
Tucker Carlson’s website the Daily Caller has started a caption contest regarding the side-by-side of Obama and the actor playing Satan; captions include “I offer free unlimited White House tours to all who will bow down and worship me”; “‘president barak hussein obama’ also spells ‘I am Satan’s Pinko Rehabbed User’”; and “This guy looks like he’s up to no good … he looks black.”
Update: The History Channel has told BuzzFeed: “HISTORY channel has the highest respect for President Obama. The series was produced with an international and diverse cast of respected actors. It’s unfortunate that anyone made this false connection.”
Executive producer Roma Downey added: “Both Mark and I have nothing but respect and love our President, who is a fellow Christian. False statements such as these are just designed as a foolish distraction to try and discredit the beauty of the story of The Bible.”
Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_ More Daniel D'Addario.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
- Marc Maron on Twitter feud with Michael Ian Black: "We have an understanding"
- "Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis to jury: "You should be euthanized"
- Ai Weiwei releases heavy metal music video
- Actually, Beyoncé is a feminist
- Marc Maron and Michael Ian Black's epic Twitter battle
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11