Venezuela elects Chavez successor amidst controversy
Henrique Capriles refuses to acknowledge the victory of "Chavista" Nicholas Maduro, claiming the vote was rigged VIDEO
By Girish Gupta and News DeskTopics: Video, Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, Henrique Capriles, South America, GlobalPost, News
Venezuela's newly elected President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Attorney General Cilia Flores (Credit: AP/Ramon Espinosa)
CARACAS, Venezuela — Acting President Nicolas Maduro managed to muster 50.66 percent of the vote over challenger Henrique Capriles’ 49.07 percent, in a much tighter-than-expected presidential election Sunday.
“Today we can say that we had a fair electoral triumph,” said Maduro, 50, after the results were announced.
About 78 percent of Venezuela’s nearly 19 million eligible voters cast ballots Sunday, The New York Times reported.
After election authorities announced the result, Maduro’s supporters celebrated outside Miraflores presidential palace, although the party drew nowhere near as large a crowd as past socialist victories.
Fireworks burst overhead as songs blared and booze flowed. Many revelers wore fake mustaches, playfully mimicking the mustachioed Maduro.
But while the “Chavistas” partied, opposition candidate Capriles cried foul. He said he refused to accept the results and called for a recount.
“Today’s loser is you,” Capriles told a news conference, referring to Maduro, according to Agence France-Presse. “We won’t recognize a result until every vote has been counted.”
The end of Venezuela’s election day showed a country more divided than ever during the emotionally charged aftermath following Chavez’s death from cancer.
Caracas pollster Luis Vicente Leon said he expects “negotiation or conflict” after a such a close race.
“The ability to govern is so fragile with this result,” he said.
Earlier Sunday evening, as polls were closing, Capriles had decried an alleged plot to alter the result.
“We alert the country and the world of the intention to change the choice expressed by the people,” Capriles, 40, tweeted late Sunday.
To the recount demand, according to the website of Spain’s El Pais, Maduro replied, “I welcome any audit you want to do. The ones most interested in an audit are the dishonest ones.”
The opposition group had set up several phone lines for voters to call in with information about voting conditions at their station.
Hand-picked by the beloved Chavez before his death last month, Maduro had commanded double-digit percentage points ahead of Capriles in most polls.
But that lead started slipping as Capriles went on the offensive, with ample ammunition of the country’s dire reality.
Despite the government’s largesse — using the world’s biggest crude reserves to fund poverty-fighting programs at home and provide cheap oil to regional allies like Cuba — problems such as high inflation, produce shortages and soaring murder rates continue to cripple the South American country.
“I voted for Capriles, he’s the only option for change,” Jose Alberto, a 32-year-old engineer, told GlobalPost after casting his vote in the upscale Caracas district of San Ignacio.
“I’ve never voted for Chavez,” he added. “You just have to walk down the street to realize that this country doesn’t work.”
Still, many Venezuelans would not give up on “Chavismo,” their late leader’s self-styled movement dubbed “21st century socialism,” and they placed trust in Chavez’s faithful deputy, Maduro, to move it forward.
Mario Izarra, 33, showed up at the Sierra Maestra voting station in 23 de Enero slum at 8 p.m. the night before the vote, and finally voted Sunday morning at 6 a.m.
“We need to work hard to make sure everyone votes, but Maduro will win, I’m
sure,” he said, standing opposite a giant mural of leftist revolutionary icon Ernesto “Che” Guevara.
“Capriles simply doesn’t have the same popularity that Maduro has and Chavez had,” he added.
Whatever the final verdict, there’s no question that Capriles, governor of the country’s second-largest state Miranda, made huge gains this time around. In October, he lost to Chavez by 11 percentage points, the closest any opponent had come to unseating “el Comandante” in his 14-year rule.
The stakes were high. Many commentators said Capriles was running not just acting President Maduro but the ghost of Chavez, who anointed Maduro his successor in December before he died.
Then Maduro exalted his deceased mentor to new heights of Godliness: He called Chavez “prophet of Christ,” and himself his “apostle.”
Related Stories
More Related Stories
-
Assata Shakur first woman named on FBI most wanted list
-
Georgia town allegedly diverting sewage to black neighborhood
-
Pic of the day: World Trade Center reborn
-
Hacker steals sensitive infrastructure data from U.S. military
-
Shots fired at Houston airport
-
Howard Kurtz and the Daily Beast "part ways" after Jason Collins error
-
Dutch police may get right to hack into computers
-
U.S. calls for amnesty of American prisoner in North Korea
-
Maryland bans the death penalty
-
Why conservatives should support immigration equality
-
6 insidious ways you're getting ripped off
-
Fracking ourselves to death in Pennsylvania
-
Americans to government: Hands off our civil liberties
-
What anti-LGBT activists say "off the record"
-
Accidental child shooting in Kentucky sparks gun debate
-
Obama will pitch immigration overhaul in Mexico
-
Bangladesh building collapse toll climbs to 433
-
NYPD's Ray Kelly: Blacks "understopped" by police
-
Obama administration to defend age restrictions on emergency contraception
-
Gitmo lawyer found dead in apparent suicide
-
Teenager charged for science project gone awry
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 pics
close X- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
-
This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
Reuters/Jason Reed -
Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
AP/A.M. Ahad -
Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
AP/Elise Amendola -
Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani -
Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
AP/Manish Swarup -
Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
AP/Jeff Roberson -
Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel -
Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
AP/Liu Yinghua -
On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
AP/Rogelio V. Solis -
The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
AP/David J. Phillip -
Recent Slide Shows
-
The week in 10 pics
-
"Arrested Development" character posters
-
Photos of the Boston manhunt
-
Newspaper headlines covering the Boston explosion
-
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
Related Videos
Most Read
-
71 names so awful New Zealand had to ban them
Kyle Kim, GlobalPost
-
"This could be a career ender for Michele Bachmann"
Alex Seitz-Wald
-
He made me his drug mule
Alix Wall
-
Ted Cruz will never be president
Joan Walsh
-
Claire Messud to Publishers Weekly: "What kind of question is that?"
David Daley
-
Pictures of people who mock me
Haley Morris-Cafiero
-
Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?
Emily Matchar
-
How conspiracists think
Sander van der Linden, Scientific American
-
Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest
Justin Elliott
-
"Star Trek's" Wil Wheaton tells newborn girl why being a nerd "is awesome"
Prachi Gupta




Comments
4 Comments