Herewith, our list of Salon's 50 most popular stories in 1999, based on cumulative volume of Web traffic. These are the 10 most-read articles of the year. And don't miss our "Editor's Pick" list -- a handpicked selection of Salon's best work from 1999.
10. "The Blair Witch Project" By Mary Elizabeth Williams
We have nothing to fear but fear itself -- and fear, it turns out, is scarier than hell.
[07/13/99 -- Arts & Entertainment]
9. Star what? By Toby Young
Ten reasons not to see "The Phantom Menace."
[05/14/99 -- Arts & Entertainment]
8. The beautiful and the damned By Jake Tapper
Much has been given to the Kennedys, and much has been taken away.
[07/17/99 -- News]
7. Inside the Columbine High investigation By Dave Cullen
Everything you know about the Littleton killings is
wrong. But the truth may be scarier than the myths.
[09/23/99 -- News]
6. Ricky Martin -- superstud or closet case? By Camille Paglia
The Rock Hudson PR Peter Meter is going off over the singing Latin heartthrob.
[05/26/99 -- People]
5. Back is beautiful By Erin J. Aubry
Does the public's embrace of Jennifer Lopez's abundant butt
signal a cultural revolution -- or simply the triumph of watered-down
[07/15/98 -- Arts & Entertainment]
4. Graveyard spiral By Joan Walsh, Daryl
Lindsey and Anthony York
Did bad judgment or bad luck doom JFK Jr.?
[07/20/99 -- News]
3. Emergency in the cockpit By Fiona Morgan
The Web goes wild for EgyptAir facts, analysis and conspiracy
[11/12/99 -- News]
2. I Kiss You!!!!! By Janelle Brown
A friendly Turkish accordion player becomes the Net's latest collective
[11/04/99 -- Technology]
1. What's in a name? By Bruce Shapiro
Upon the death of the scion of America's greatest political dynasty, a quick survey of American politics reminds us how much it helps to have a famous name.
[07/21/99 -- News]
Best of Salon 1999 -- People's Choice: The rest of the list