Absurdly easy hash browns
4 medium unpeeled potatoes
1 cup grated onion
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons fresh or dried herbs, if desired (rosemary, oregano, etc.)
Salt and pepper
1. Grate potatoes coarsely; rinse with cold water and pat dry.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet.
3. Add potatoes, onions, herbs.
4. Cook over medium-high heat until tender and golden; toss occasionally, but not too often.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Hash brown casserole, ` la Ionesco
1 2-pound bag of frozen hash browns
1 can condensed cream of potato soup
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 cups cornflakes, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter over low heat.
3. Mix 2 tablespoons of the melted butter with the crushed cornflakes; set aside.
4. Mix soup and sour cream with remaining butter, and heat gently.
5. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, green onion and cheese. Stir in heated soup mixture, then season with salt and pepper. Pour into a 9-by-13 casserole. Sprinkle cornflakes mixture evenly over the top.
6. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown on the sides.
Serve warm. Watch out for rhinoceros.