Exclusive! Developing! Kerry-Clinton lovefest!


Stephen W. Stromberg
July 1, 2004 2:19AM (UTC)

Fresh Drudge Report-fueled rumors about Hillary Clinton taking the Democratic veep nomination are floating around cyberspace today. In typically excited fashion, Drudge "reported": "Official Washington and the entire press corps will be rocked when Hillary Rodham Clinton is picked as Kerry's VP and a massive love fest will begin!" But even Drudge admits he's right only 80 percent of the time; this one might fall in with the other 20 percent. Drudge's story, based on one anonymous "Washington insider" source was enough to activate Hillary's devotees.

Bob Kunst, president of hillarynow.com, sent an e-mail to supporters and media today explaining why New York's junior senator is the only one who can save John Kerry's candidacy: "A brief analysis: If the latest national poll has Kerry 1 point ahead of Bush, after all the insanity of the last 4 months, then this passivity isn't going to work and the Hillary factor becomes VERY REAL, as the only saving grace to defeat Bush. Another milktoast [sic] Veep won't do it. Hillary will galvanize the nation."

Advertisement:

True, although she'd likely also galvanize Bush's right-wing base, too. And Clinton has repeatedly said she would serve out her six-year term in the Senate, which expires in 2006, and has recently expressed disinterest in running with Kerry. Still, Mr. Kunst -- and Matt Drudge, too -- is free to dream.


Stephen W. Stromberg

Stephen W. Stromberg is a former editorial fellow at Salon.

MORE FROM Stephen W. Stromberg

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

War Room

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••





Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •