On rocking the boat
1. I've got a reason for running. I talk about a larger goal, which is to call upon the best of America ... It's reform and renewal. Part of the renewal is a set of high standards and to remind people that the greatness of America really does depend on neighbors helping neighbors and children finding mentors. Palin or Bush?
2. I am convinced we have to reform -- we've got to not embrace the status quo and just be going along to get along ... We are going to reform and we are going to be serving for the right reasons. Bush or Palin?
On political hiring (and firing)
3. Well, a couple of lawmakers are pretty angry with me for replacing ... at-will political appointments ... it is my prerogative, my right, to appoint members whom I believe will do best for the people whom we are serving. So I look forward to any kind of investigation or questions being asked because I've got nothing to hide. Palin or Bush?
4. You want somebody who can do the job. That's the most important criterion, somebody who is qualified, somebody who can get a job done. And on this particular issue, the one you're referring to, they serve at my pleasure ... There had been no credible evidence of any wrongdoing ... And there will be more hearings to determine what I've just said. Bush or Palin?
On the fourth estate
5. [The media] hasn't always been fair to me ... I would say, at first, I intrigued people. And now I think we're settling into a traditional relationship with the liberal media ... My only answer is, I'd rather be underestimated. Palin or Bush?
6. I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. Bush or Palin?
On experience, and why it doesn't matter
7. I don't have 30 years of political experience under my belt ... that's a good thing, that's a healthy thing. That means my perspective is fresher, more in touch with the people I will be serving. I would use that as an advantage. Palin or Bush?
8. I think that's the old ... game of trying to tear somebody down. I've been through this before. "Can't possibly do the job. Never held office." And my answer then was "Give me a chance. Give me a chance to lead" ... If you want somebody who has had -- you know -- life experiences that may not be -- conforms to the Washington mind-set -- give me a chance. Bush or Palin?
On sweet, sweet crude
9. To confront the threat that Iran might seek to cut off nearly a fifth of world energy supplies ... or that terrorists might strike again at the Abqaiq facility in Saudi Arabia ... or that Venezuela might shut off its oil deliveries ... we Americans need to produce more of our own oil. Palin or Bush?
10. Oil prices have risen sharply, and that increase has been reflected at American gasoline pumps. Now much of the oil consumed in America comes from abroad ... Some of that energy comes from unstable regions and unfriendly regimes. This makes us more vulnerable to supply shocks and price spikes beyond our control -- and that puts both our economy and our security at risk ... Our nation must produce more oil. And we must start now. Bush or Palin?
2. Sarah Palin
3. Sarah Palin
6. Sarah Palin
7. Sarah Palin
9. Sarah Palin
10. George W. Bush