Politico is reporting that former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum will be heading to Iowa to test the presidential waters:
POLITICO has learned Santorum will visit first-in-the-nation Iowa this fall for a series of appearances before the sort of conservative activists who dominate the state GOP’s key presidential caucuses.
The Pennsylvanian, who lost his 2006 re-election bid, will visit Iowa on October 1st, appearing on a Des Moines radio talk show and speaking to a luncheon and workshop of Iowa’s Right to Life group before heading east to Dubuque, where he’ll headline a fundraiser for the conservative America’s Future Fund PAC and then speak about the future of the GOP to a public audience in the Mississippi River city.
“Your voice becomes more amplified when you go to a place like Iowa or New Hampshire,” Santorum explained in an interview Tuesday about the visit.
Like other potential White House aspirants, he insisted it was too early to consider a presidential run. But he acknowledged that he was interested in taking a higher profile in the party.
A few requests to share as you begin packing:
- Please run for president, Rick.
- Please "amplify your voice" by taking a higher profile in the Republican Party.
- Please distinguish your presidential campaign by staking out strong, unequivocal socially-conservative positions on abortion, evolution, gay rights, global warming and so on.
- Please rally the birthers, the health care protesters, the CUFI crowd, and related fringe groups to your side as one big, merry band of crusaders.
- Please win the 2012 Republican nomination.
- Please pluck television talk show host and former Alaska governor Sarah Palin from non-obscurity by tapping her to be your vice presidential running mate.
- Oh, and yeah: Please be gracious during your election night concession speech.