Leaders in Total Compensation at Private Colleges, 2007-8. Source: IRS tax reports analyzed by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
1. Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute: $1,598,247
2. David Sargent, Suffolk University: $1,496,593
3. Steadman Upham, University of Tulsa: $1,485,275
4. Cornelius M. Kerwin, American University: $1,419,339
5. Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia: $1,380,035
6. Donald V. DeRosa, University of the Pacific: $1,350,743
7. John E. Sexton, New York University: $1,297,475
8. Jerry C. Lee, National University: $1,189,777
9. Nicholas S. Zeppos, Vanderbilt: $1,275,309
10. Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania: $1,225,103
Note: Total compensation may include deferred compensation and other benefits and is not necessarily take-home salary. Kerwin, who was named president in 2007, was provost for much of the period covered.