Father of alleged airline attacker warned U.S.

Father went to the U.S. embassy in Nigeria to express concerns

By Matthew Lee - Pamela Hess
December 27, 2009 7:45AM (UTC)
main article image

U.S. government officials tell The Associated Press that the Nigerian man charged with trying to destroy a jetliner came to the attention of U.S. intelligence in November when his father went to the U.S. embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, to express his concerns about his son.

A congressional official said Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a 23-year-old Nigerian, popped up in U.S. intelligence reports about four weeks ago as having a connection to both al-Qaida and Yemen.

Advertisement:

Another government official said Abdulmutallab's father went to the embassy in Abuja with his concerns, but did not have any specific information that would put him on the "no-fly list" or on the list for additional security checks at the airport.

Neither was the information sufficient to revoke his visa to visit the United States. His visa had been granted June 2008 and was valid through June 2010. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because neither was authorized to speak to the media.


Matthew Lee

MORE FROM Matthew Lee

Pamela Hess

MORE FROM Pamela Hess


Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Air Travel Al-qaida Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab