- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch sugar, optional, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil (or mix of canola and extra-virgin olive oil)
- Combine everything but the oil and sugar in a bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Taste the vinegar mixture. It will be sour, but if it feels harsh, add a pinch of sugar.
- Whisk the vinegar vigorously and pour the oil in thin stream. Alternatively, shake it all together in a jar with a lid, or zap it all in a blender or food processor.
- The vinaigrette will eventually separate; just re-whisk or shake before using.