These brownies are super-rich, and as good as they are warm, they are divine cold, so place them the bottom of the cooler, and finish off the picnic on a high note.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup natural cocoa powder (I use Hershey's)
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch-square metal baking pan.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Off the heat, stir in sugar, then the cream cheese, followed by the eggs and vanilla. Slowly stir in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick or a skewer inserted ¾ inch into the center of the brownies comes out with just a few moist clumps clinging to it, about 40 minutes. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- Cut into square s. Store.