This entry for the Salon Kitchen Challenge -- in which we asked readers to share their favorite picnic recipes -- comes to us courtesy of Cathy Elton. We haven't had a chance to try this recipe out yet, but we'd love to hear about it if you do!
This slaw is way more interesting than your standard-issue coleslaw. And a lot better for you, since there’s no artery-clogging mayo. Plus, it will look stunningly pretty on the table for your next summer barbecue.
I recommend eating the slaw the same day it’s made. It loses a little after being refrigerated overnight.
- 1/2 small red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 small green cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated jicama (use large holes on a box grater)
- 2 serrano peppers, or one jalapeño, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Pinch cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients and you're done.