- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup veggie oil
- 1 cup of your favorite honey
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of ground clove
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons light rye flour
- 4 fluid ounces water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a large loaf pan.
- Pour the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. In a smaller bowl, mix together oil, honey, eggs and spices with a whisk. Add that to the sugar and mix on medium-high for a minute. In a measuring cup dissolve baking soda in water. Set aside. With the mixer on low, blend in flour. Turn mixer on high for a minute. Switching mixer to low once again, add the water and baking soda mix. Once incorporated, turn the mixer on high for about 30 seconds.
- Immediately pour into prepared loaf pan. Set cake in oven. Leave the oven door ajar on the first stop (yes, open!). Once the cake reaches a good height, close the oven door and continue baking for about 40-50 minutes more or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Invert on a rack. Tastes best as it ages -- wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
To make gluten free:
- Use gluten-free flour instead of rye. Add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. Add 2 tablespoons molasses to the honey-egg-oil mix.