This recipe is best with unripe mangoes, so no need to hunt for perfect ingredients. This salad is a great contrast to a really fatty, salty, sweet BBQ dish like baby back ribs, or Chinese duck, or to punch up something quiet, like a nice piece of white fish.
- 1 tablespoon Thai Chili Paste
- 1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce
- 2 teaspoon memmi or teriyaki sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup of water
- 6 small, or 3 big, unripe mangoes
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups white cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup peanuts, crushed
- Put the chili paste, fish sauce, Memmi, garlic and 1/3 cup water in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Peel mangoes. Using a very sharp knife, chop the mango flesh lengthwise against the pit repeatedly to "shred." Slice the mango shreds from the pit from top to bottom.
- Combine the shredded mangoes, pepper, onion and cabbage. Set aside.
- Once sauce is cool, pour over salad ingredients. Toss. Add crushed peanuts. Toss again. Serve cold.